We hope your Labor Day weekend and getting the kids "back to school" has been grand!
By popular demand of our workshop attendee's, here's the recipe for the delicious Tomato Basil Soup with Corn Bread Fritter that Joy made. I know it doesn't feel like autumn weather yet (more like summer now that the pool's are closed!) but this recipe is so good it is worth it to make and eat now!
This is a great recipe to double and save (store in a jar in the freezer for later!) for unexpected guests or a quick dinner.
Delicious Tomato Basil Soup
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 - 14 oz. cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 - 14 oz. can of whole tomatoes
- 2 cups of stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1/2 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons of fresh basil, julienned
- parmesan cheese or cheddar cheese (if desired)
In a saucepan, saute garlic in olive oil on medium heat for 1 minute - being careful not to burn the garlic. Add the crushed tomatoes. Add the whole tomatoes one at a time, squeezing them into the pan to break them up. Add the juice from the whole tomatoes, as well. Add chicken stock, salt, pepper, sugar, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook the soup on medium at a simmer for 10 minutes.
To finish, reduce the heat to low and stir in heavy cream, butter, and basil.
Corn Bread Fritter
- Jiffy Corn Bread (and ingredients needed)
- cheddar cheese
Mix the corn bread and bake in a mini muffin tin as directed on the box. Once completed, slice the corn bread side to side and garnish the insides with a bit of butter and sprinkled cheddar cheese. Place on an oiled panini grill until melted.
Serve fresh in (or with) the Tomato Basil Soup for a savory crunch and flavor.
Enjoy and let us know what you think of this soup!